As expected with any typical RPG game these days, Baldur’s Gate 3 also comes with a ton of optional side quests that you can try and complete.
It will involve Derryth Bonecloak wanting to know the whereabouts of her husband, Baelen who was sent on an errand that she suspects he has made a mess of.
FIND THE MUSHROOM PICKER – SIDE QUEST
SOLO (SINGLE CHARACTER – Rogue) Vs BULETTE
(View More Solo (Single Character – Rogue) Gameplay HERE)
- ACT (CHAPTER) UNLOCKED: Act 1 (Chapter 1)
- LOCATION: Underdark
- QUEST GIVER: Derryth Bonecloak (x:54 y:-94)
- PREREQUISITE: Find and unlock the Underdark area
- First off before we can even unlock or finish this quest you should or should have already unlocked the Underdark area, if not get to it!
- Then from there head to the coordinates (x:54 y:-94) and speak to Derryth Bonecloak. You will find out that she is looking for a dwarf named Baelen, her apparent husband.
- Make your way to the Dread Hollow (x:-4 y:-110) where your party may end up talking amongst themselves about the area and the nearby trees. Basically if you didn’t already know the nearby Bibberbangs cause Gas to pour out upon exploding.
- Climb down the Knotted Roots
- Here you will find Baelen amongst a ton of Bibberbangs.
- If you try to get close to Baelen, he will stop you and you will now learn more about Bibberbangs. If you didn’t already know Bibberbangs are a dangerous Mushroom that explodes toxic gas. You will also learn of Baelen’s missing bag
CHOOSE TO SAVE BAELEN (OPTION)
- Baelen’s bag is actually not too far away, in fact is is laying amongst the Bibberbang minefield, to the left of Baelen.
- Now the easiest way to solving this one, is to use the Misty Step ability in order to teleport yourself amongst the rocks that Baelen’s bag lays up on.
- Then click on the bag but do NOT pick it up, in fact what you need to do is THROW the bag at Baelen
- A scene involving your party and Baelen will now commence. Baelen will now run off. (Use the Misty Step to once again free yourself from the explosive Gas minefield)
- Report to Derryth. Quest end.
CHOOSE TO KILL BAELEN (OPTION)
- If you are in the evil frame of mind then you can of course kill Baelen, in order to do this all you need to do is simply shoot any one of these Bibberbangs and they will form like Dominoes, continuing to explode one after another. Poor and trapped Baelen will of course choke to death at this point.
- After Baelen is dealt with feel free to use Fire abilities in order to vanquish the Gas and then Water abilities in order to get rid of the Fire.
- Now you can examine Baelen’s body if you so choose to, you will actually get more loot but none of it is actually that great.
- Report back to Derryth. Quest end.
JOURNAL QUEST NOTES
+ Find Baelen –
Derryth told us about her husband Baelen. He’s lost somewhere in the Underdark.
We got a description of Baelen. He’s bald and wearing a blue tunic. He is also, apparently, not very smart.
+ Save Baelen –
We found Baelen trapped in a field of Bibberbangs. He begged us to throw him his bag.
+ Talk To Baelen – (If you chose to save Baelen)
We rescued Baelen. We should check on him.
+ Speak With Derryth –
We saved Baelen. We should tell Derryth the good news. (If you chose to save Baelen)
Baelen died. We should let Derryth know. (If you chose to kill Baelen)
While it wasn’t a joyful reunion, Derryth has her husband back now. (If you chose to save Baelen)
We told Derryth that her husband is dead. She didn’t seem particularly upset. (If you chose to kill Baelen)
(Note: A potential text error lies within this quest, as Baelen is described as being bald but during the scene with Baelen, he actually has black hair. So unless it is a wig that isn’t spoke about properly then this is indeed a text error. This may get patched over in the future but for now it is still noticeable, for those interested)
Thanks To: LtHead – You left out the most important part of the quest, the valuable noblestalk plant that the dwarves were searching for. It’s in the corner of the room with Baelen surrounded by bibberbang, I reached it by jumping along the top using La’zeal you can then choose to give it to Derryth for a future reward at her shop in Baldurs Gate city or keep it for yourself. (When pressed Derryth reveals it’s a cure all wonder plant)
Thanks To: Alaric – The noblestalk may have other uses too. On top of giving it to either the husband or wife you can also give it to the deep gnome to cure her of her poison.
RELATED GUIDES / LINKS: