Drowned Hopes is one of the many optional side quests that you can complete within Horizon Forbidden West.
This side quest involves helping the Carja academics return to their dig site
- SIDE QUEST: Drowned Hopes
- LOCATION: Carja Camp
- QUEST GIVER: Carja Scholars
- REWARDS: 7150XP, 2 Skill Points
- Speak with the Carja Scholars (Gendas and Rushavid) to learn about their efforts to return to their dig site and search for relics.
GO TO THE DIG SITE
- The dig site can be found just south of Carja Camp, at the Jagged Deep Delve.
- When you arrive you will be immediately forced to fight the Machines here.
- After dealing with the Machines Aloy will notice that the ruins go into the water, it is now time for a quick swim!
INVESTIGATE THE SUBMERGED RUINS
- Head underwater and we will be able to spot a Data Console, it will be next to an Ancient Valuables Chest. Unfortunately the Data Console cannot be interacted with from this side
- However, if you continue to follow the rocks around there will be another way to reach it.
- Examine the Security Console and we will uncover an Ancient Trunk, inside this Ancient Trunk will be the Vault Key (Datapoint). The Vault Key is actually quest related.
SEARCH THE RUINS FOR A SECURITY CONSOLE
- We now need to go and check out the next Security Console, which is just west of our current location. At Devil’s Slide.
- After a quick run around at Devil’s Slide Aloy will realise that there are no clues on land and suggests that she tries underwater instead. So head underwater.
- Down here we will find a door that we can go through. Continue through this door and head left.
- In the following room you will need to pry open the door on the left, this will reveal the Security Console. There will also be an Ancient Trunk here too (Vault Key)
GO TO THE COORDINATES FOR THE CONSOLE
- We should now only have the single Security Console and Vault Key left to find now. It is not far away, in fact you can walk it from here.
- Continue to follow the quest marker and climb up the hill, you will arrive at Dread Bluff.
- You should immediately see the ruin in front of you, just climb its walls to get inside. Once inside make your way to the watery depths below.
- Just before you hit the water there will be an open vent on the wall. If you ended up actually in the water, then just use the nearby ladders and head towards the open vent.
- The console you are looking for can be found in here, don’t forget to pick up the Vault Key
GO TO THE COORDINATES FOR THE VAULT
- With all 3 Vault Keys we can now start our search for the Vault itself.
- Head to the quest marker, slightly south, and you should notice an underwater cave entrance.
- Begin swimming and following the marker and you will arrive at a path blocked by rocks, interact and destroy this blockade.
- Continue to follow the path and you will end up on dry land once again.
- Head inside the underground bunker, which in actual fact is the Vault. Here place all of those Vault Keys you picked up.
- Once inside open the chest here to obtain the Mobile Cover System Prototype
- Report back to the Carja Scholars.
- Interact with the Workbench and craft a Guardian Tripcaster. This will be under Quest Items and requires the Mobile Cover System Prototype and 1 Data Driver
- The Guardian Tripcaster deploys protective shields that explodes after absorbing enough damage.
A pair of Carja academics seek to return to their dig site so they may continue their search for relics…. and the truth of what happened in the ancient past.