This specific guide is a complete walkthrough of Fatal Frame / Project Zero – Maiden of Black Water. Which in this page will take you through the First Drop – A Vanishing Trace chapter
We will be aiming for 100%, meaning we will be attempting to collect the various different files and ghosts. Doing so will reward us with the Record Reaper and Second Sight
- PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Prologue – Lurking in the Deep
- CHARACTER: Yuri Kozukata
FIND THE POSTMORTEM PHOTOGRAPHS
- During the scene we will be given a Camera Obscura, which is basically our only weapon throughout the game. It is required to take photos of the ghosts we encounter
- Anyway get used to using this camera by following the on-screen tutorial. It is very important that you learn how to use it as it will become a very important feature throughout the game.
- You will need to take photographs of Hisoka Kurosawa, first her face, then body, and finally legs. Basically the five orbs at the bottom of the photo frame results in how good your overall photo is. If you manage to fill all of the orbs then you will deal maximum damage, this is good to know when fighting off ghosts.
- We will now get the postmortem photographs
SEARCH INSIDE THE ABANDONED INN
- As soon as you are able to move around, head inside the building
- Now as you continue through the building, keep a close eye on the beams just above you. There will be a ghost that you can take a photo of. Unfortunately this ghost appearance is very brief and will disappear rather quickly. Though this ghost sighting is optional, it is required if you plan on going for 100%. Peering Shadow Ghost Sighting
- Continuing on, turn and head right. However, when you reach a passageway to the next right, there will be another optional ghost sighting. Again it is quick. If you miss it then just exit the chapter and replay it from the main menu. Hands In The Water Ghost Sighting
- Continue down the hallway and when you reach the end, turn and head right.
- There will be a passageway that you can go down to the left, do so in order to trigger a scene
- After the scene head on up the set of steps here
FOLLOW THE TRACE
- Follow this shadow trace and it will lead us to our first file, Mt. Hikami’s Downfall
- After reading the file, immediately get out your camera and take a photo of the ghost just above you. Man Peeking Through Ghost Sighting
- Now keep the camera ready and head back down the hallway. However, stop at the first path heading right as you can find yet another optional ghost sighting here. Innkeeper Heading Inside Ghost Sighting
- We will now get a tutorial on Echoes of the Past, which is basically taking photos of these optional ghosts I have been mentioning and talking about already.
- Head right and crawl through the hole in the wall. Approach the door, unfortunately it is locked.
- We will now get a tutorial on Psychic Photographs, which is where you can take photos of things such as locked doors and get a hint on how to find the key. With that take a photo of the door and lets get our hint on how to open it.
FIND THE PLACE IN THE PHOTOGRAPH
- Okay we will now need to find the key in order to unlock the door, Hisoka will choose to stay behind.
- As you crawl your way back through the gap in the wall, immediately look up to find another optional ghost sighting. Hanging Man Ghost Sighting
- Head through the door opposite you, the key you need will be in here sitting inside the wardrobe. Key On Red Keychain Found
- As soon as you get the key an optional ghost will appear behind you, quickly take a photo of him. Man Looking At A Key Ghost Sighting
- Return to Hisoka and unlock the door
LOCATE THE REQUESTED ITEM
- After unlocking the door, there will be another ghost sighting to the right side of the room (Searching Man). Then after taking care of the sighting, use your camera and point it towards the floor.
- You should now see something sparkling and get a Phantom Expose tutorial, which basically means we can search for items and objects that only the camera can pick up.
- Now that we have what we came for, it is now time to leave the inn.
- Follow Hisoka out of the room and continue to follow her. However, after crawling back through the gap stop and look towards the door opposite you. There is another optional ghost sighting here at the doorway. Peering Man Ghost Sighting
- Continue to follow Hisoka until you reach a set of stairs, as you go down them there will be another optional ghost sighting next to the wall. Staring Man Ghost Sighting
- Just before the chapter ends, you will be attacked by a ghost. This basically gives us a tutorial on how to fight the ghosts we come across.
NEXT CHAPTER: Second Drop – Mt. Hikami