If you’re looking to enhance your firepower in Alan Wake 2, then you’re definitely going to want to find the Hunting Rifle. This weapon is incredibly powerful and will take your ranged capabilities up a notch. However, it’s also a very easy weapon to miss, and if you don’t know where you’re looking, you’ll never be able to find the Hunting Rifle.
Ready For a Fight
When you find the Hunting Rifle in Alan Wake 2, you’ll unlock the ‘Ready for a Fight’ secret achievement. This is only worth ten points but is one of those achievements that can feel impossible to complete by yourself. It’s also a secret achievement, which doesn’t make completing it any easier!
Nevertheless, if you want to 100% complete Alan Wake 2, you will need to unlock this achievement at some point.
There are actually six other weapon-related secret achievements just like Ready For a Fight in Alan Wake 2. These are:
How to Find the Hunting Rifle
Trying to find the Hunting Rifle on your own can be a real headache. The one clue that you do get is on a random email you can view on the security computer in the Wellness Center. But, actually figuring out the riddle is near impossible.
Finding the Rifle
So to save you a headache, follow these simple steps to find the hunting rifle in Alan Wake 2:
- Firstly, you’ll want to head to the Wellness Center and make your way to the Workshop. You can find the workshop next to the Security Room, which can only be accessed after unlocking the main path in Chapter 5. However, as you try to enter the room, you’ll notice that the door is missing the doorknob.
- To find the doorknob, make your way to the Staff Lounge by passing through the Ward Reception. Walk through the lounge, and you should end up at the Front Desk. You will find the doorknob at the front desk.
- Head back to the workshop door. You’ll be prompted to put the doorknob back in the door.
- After doing this, simply enter the room, and you’ll find the hunting rifle in a safe in the corner!
The Wellness Center can feel like a maze at times, especially when you stray from the main story path. As such, it’s a good idea to make full use of your map and check that you’re in the right location before moving in between rooms. It sounds obvious, but in Alan Wake 2, going the wrong way can be the difference between living and dying.
It’s also important to note that you need to have unlocked all of the main rooms in the Wellness Centre before you go looking for the Hunting Rifle. Otherwise, you’ll end up going in circles and will never find it!
How to Find the Ammo
After you find the Hunting Rifle, you’ll want to get your hands on as much ammo as you can find. Unfortunately, ammo for this weapon is extremely rare in Alan Wake 2, and every shot counts.
You should be able to find a decent amount in the Dining Hall or Kitchen. Aside from this, there aren’t any sure-fire ways of getting more Hunting Rifle ammo.
Hunting Rifle Upgrades
After you find the hunting rifle, it’s a good idea to take the time to upgrade it. It’s a pretty good weapon at stock. However, you can make it a truly OP weapon with a bit of effort.
The upgrades available to the hunting rifle are:
- Way Home- Allows bullets to penetrate an enemy’s darkness shield.
- Feedback Loop– Consecutive accurate hits will reduce the time between shots.
- Kill Shot- When you stand still, you’ll enter an improved focus move, giving you better accuracy, increased damage, and shots that gravitate towards enemy weak spots.
For most players, ‘Kill Shot’ is the upgrade to go for. In the right circumstances, this upgrade feels like cheating because you will simply burn through enemies like it’s nothing!
The only drawback of the Hunting Rifle is that in most situations, you’re going to be engaging enemies at short-medium distances, rather than long range, which is where the hunting rifle shines.